Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Scene Forty-One: World Music Percussion Ensemble

Tonight, the World Music Percussion Ensemble and I'll be playing our termly show in Spaulding Auditorium in the the Hop. This show is called Jump Up! Caribbean Sun Splash and will primarily include songs by Bob Marley.

I've been playing with the ensemble since Fall term, but prior to Dartmouth I had no experience playing percussion. No big! It's never too late to start something new. Twice weekly rehearsals have shaped me (and all the other brand-new-to-percussionists among us- there are quite a few) into some sort of decent. I attribute this to the exquisite leadership of our director, Hafiz Shabazz, and the group's veteran members.

Here's a promotional video made by one of our members, Si Jie Loo.


Yeah, we be jammin'. And the "learn new instruments on the day of the performance" bit is totally true.

No comments:

Post a Comment